If you are vegetarian and are looking for easy, healthy recipes, then why not try some of these.
Tomato and roasted pepper soup
400g of tomatoes (halved), 1 red onion (quartered) , 2 red peppers (roughly chopped), 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 garlic cloves (crushed in their skins) , 2 tbsp of ricotta, seasoning.
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan. Put the garlic, tomatoes, onion, and peppers in a roasting tin and toss with olive oil and seasoning. Roast for around 25-30 mins until the veg has softened.
- Squeeze the garlic out of their skins. Add all the vegetables to a blender or use a hand blender to blend everything, adding enough water to get your desired consistency (around 150ml).
- Reheat the soup if necessary, then add a spoonful of ricotta on the top. Enjoy!
Chickpea and coriander burgers
400g can of chickpeas (drained), zest of 1 lemon (plus juice of ½), small bunch of coriander, 1 egg, 100g of breadcrumbs, 1 red onion ( ½ diced, ½ sliced), 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 4 wholemeal buns, 1 tomato and cucumber (sliced, ready to serve), lettuce leaves, sauce of your choice.
- In a food processor, blend the chickpea, lemon zest, lemon juice, coriander, and cumin together. Scrape this mixture into a bowl and add 80g of the breadcrumbs and the diced onions. Form the mixture into 4 burgers, pressing the extra breadcrumbs on either side and chill for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan on medium heat, fry the burgers for 4 minutes on each side. To serve fill the bun with lettuce, a slice of tomato, the burger, sliced onion, some cucumber slices and some sauce if you would like some. Then enjoy these amazing burgers!
4tbsp of olive oil, 1 large onion (finely chopped), 4 garlic gloves (finely sliced), 250g of chargrilled Mediterranean vegetables (such as courgettes, aubergines, peppers), 400g can of chopped tomatoes, 350g of whole wheat pasta (any shape you prefer), parmesan to serve.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions, cooking them for around 8-10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic for the final 2 minutes of the cooking time.
- Add in the vegetables and chopped tomatoes. Season well and simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil your pasta in a separate pan. When the pasta is cooked, drain but reserve a cup of the pasta water. Tip the pasta in the sauce and add some of the pasta water if it needs loosening. Plate up and scatter over some parmesan.