Tips On How To Cut Down On Alcohol
Alcohol is something that is accessible to most people and can be cheap however consuming too much is very bad for your health. 14 units is around 6 pints of average-strength beer. If you are drinking more than 14 units a week regularly then you can try these simple steps to reduce your intake.
Steps to take:
- Set a budget on the amount of money you spend on alcohol
- Let your friends and family know that you’re cutting down, it is important to get support
- Cut back a little each day
- Make a plan on how much alcohol you’re going to drink
- Have lower strength drinks
- Have smaller drinks, instead of a pint try a bottle of beer
- Staying hydrated is very important, drink 6-8 glasses of water a day
- Have several drink free days a week
Benefits of cutting down:
There are many benefits to cutting down on alcohol and the immediate benefits can include: better looking skin, feeling more energetic, feel less tired, easier to wake up in the mornings, and better weight management as alcohol can be very high in calories.
The long term benefits can be:
- Improving your mood, heavy drinking has been linked to depression and hangovers can often make people feel anxious, so cutting down can put you in a better mood generally
- Improvements in your behaviour, sometimes people behave irrationally and can become aggressive when they’re drunk. Also memory loss can be an issue for regular drinkers.
- Stopping your heart health from becoming worse, long-term heavy drinking can lead to your heart becoming enlarged so by stopping it can prevent it from getting worse,
- Getting a better nights sleep, drinking can often disrupt peoples sleep patterns and stop people from getting into a deep sleep.
- Improvements in your immune system, regular drinking can affect the body’s ability to fight infections.
you, or someone you know needs support on cutting down on alcohol then visit
this website, it has a various number of contacts on it. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/alcohol-support/