This blog is all about healthy recipes. If you are struggling on finding recipes that are not only delicious but are healthy then check out todays blog!
Healthy Southern fried chicken recipe
Enjoy a healthier twist on your favourite Southern fried chicken with this clever recipe.
- 600g pack skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 750g pack chicken drumsticks
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce or sriracha
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 80g plain flour
- 30g panko breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil spray
- Trim any visible fat from the chicken thighs and remove the skin from the drumsticks by pulling the skin down from the fat end of the drumstick until it reaches the bone end and then snipping it away with scissors.
- Combine the buttermilk with the hot sauce, ½ tsp of each of the spices and some seasoning in a large bowl, add the chicken and toss to coat. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hrs or overnight if possible.
- Preheat the oven to gas 9, 240°C, fan 220°C. Mix the remaining spices with the flour and the breadcrumbs and tip half onto a large plate (using half the flour at a time stops too many clumps forming; add the rest when you run out). In turn, take each piece of chicken from the marinade and dip into the flour mix to coat on both sides. Transfer to a wire rack set over a baking tray and repeat until all the chicken is coated. Discard any leftover marinade.
- Spray each chicken piece with 2-3 sprays of sunflower oil. Cook for 30-35 mins at the top of the oven, until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the meat. Serve with a salad or rice to keep the meal healthy!
Crispy chicken and broccoli noodles recipe
- 1 heaped tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 higher-welfare skinless chicken breasts (about 120g each)
- 2 heaped tsp Chinese five-spice
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 220g Tenderstem broccoli
- 100g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- sweet chilli sauce (optional)
- Toast the sesame seeds (if using) in a large dry frying pan over a high heat until golden, about 1 min, then tip into a small bowl. Cut the chicken into 1cm chunks, then mix with the Chinese five-spice and a pinch of black pepper until well coated.
- Place the frying pan back on a high heat with 1tbsp olive oil, then fry the chicken for 4 mins, or until golden and gnarly.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the garlic, then trim and finely slice the broccoli stalks, leaving the florets whole.
- Put the rice noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
- In a bowl, stir together the soy, vinegar, sesame oil and sweet chilli sauce, if using.
- Add the garlic and the broccoli to the chicken for the final min, then remove the frying pan from the heat.
- Drain the noodles, then add them to the frying pan along with the sauce and toss everything together. Serve with a sprinkle of the toasted sesame seeds.
Hope you enjoy trying these yummy recipes out, trust me they are delicious!