Healthy Food Swaps
Making small changes in your diet is a great way to introduce healthy eating and is the healthiest way to lose weight. The first step is to eat fewer foods that are high in calories, fat, sugar and salts, and swap them for something healthier such as more fruit and vegetables ensuring you are getting your five a day. Even though these may be small changes they can still make a big difference. When buying foods make sure you do not get distracted by attractive packaging or print, instead check the nutritional information.
By changing a few eating habits you have, it can make your diet a lot healthier. It is easier than you think so why not give it a go. Here are some examples of how to do so.
- Swap full-fat yoghurt for low fat or fat free
- Swap sprinkling sugar on your cereal for adding fruit instead
- Swap whole milk for semi-skimmed, or skimmed milk
- Swap sugar coated cereal for wholegrain breakfast such as Weetabix or porridge
- Swap white bread or wraps for wholegrain options
- Swap your meal deal for some food you made at home
- Swap butter on your sandwich or jacket potato for low fat spread
- Swap a bag of crisps for fruit, nuts, or seeds
- Swap the frying pan for the grill when cooking meat
- Swap your pasta for whole-wheat
- Swap creamy sauces for tomato instead
- Stop adding extra cheese on top of your meals