Healthy Baking Treats
Baking is a great way to take your mind off of the current pandemic. Not only is it fun but with the following recipes it can also be healthy. You may be binge eating on chocolate and crisps but why not try these healthy baking treats that still taste delicious!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- 80g creamy peanut butter
- 90mL unsweetened cashew milk, room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp liquid stevia
- 60mL pure maple syrup
- 180g whole grain out flour (gluten free oat flour if necessary)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 49g miniature chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 300°F, and coat an 8”-square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the peanut butter and cashew milk. Stir in the salt, vanilla, stevia, and maple syrup. Pour in the oat flour, and sprinkle the baking soda over the oat flour (to prevent it from clumping!). Stir in the oat flour and baking soda until just incorporated. Stir in 3 tablespoons of miniature chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Gently press the remaining miniature chocolate chips on top. Bake at 300°F for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely to room temperature in the pan, and let the bars rest for at least 6 hours once at room temperature for the best taste and texture before slicing and serving.
Healthy One-Bowl Blueberry Muffins
- 7g unsalted butter
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 ½ tsp liquid stevia
- 120g plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 45mL plain white vinegar
- 180mL nonfat milk
- 270g white whole wheat flour or gluten-free* flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 210g) fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray. (If using liners, then line 12 muffin cups with paper liners, and coat the liners with cooking spray.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, egg whites, and salt. Whisk in the vanilla extract, almond extract, and liquid stevia. Stir in the Greek yogurt. Stir in the vinegar. Stir in the milk. Add the flour. Sprinkle the baking powder and baking soda on top of the flour (to avoid clumps and make sure the muffins bake evenly!). Stir until just incorporated. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter between the prepared paper liners. Bake at 350°F for 21-24 minutes or until the centers feel firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Hope you enjoy creating these healthy recipes!